- According Census 2011 of India there are 15.54 Million households (6.3% of total population) in India who have computer/laptops in their homes.
- However Only 7.6 Million households (3.1% of total population) have laptops/ computers with internet.
- Maharashtra is the biggest Indian Internet market with 18% of Total Internet households followed by Tamil Nadu with 10%, Karnataka 8.27% , U.P (Noida inclusive) 8.18%, Delhi 7.68% and Andhra Pradesh with 7.15%.
- Delhi/NCR inclusive of Noida and Gurgaon would however have much higher numbers.
- Facebook allows you to target 45.82 Million users in India
- Google's Adwords says that it has a reach of 14.5 Million users through Search in India
- Number of Active users per month as per Google's Ad Planner is 30.7 Million
- However as per IAMAI total internet users in India is 100 Million and as per Comscore it is close to 50 Million.
- 63 % of Indians own a Telephone connection.
- 47.2 % of Indians own a Television
- 19.9 % of Indians own a Radio/Transistors
India Internet Statistics 2012
- India has 7.6 Million Households having internet
- 13.42 Million broadband connections (Home + Offices ) combined.
- Maximum targettable audience using one site in India is Facebook with 45.82 Million
- Active user base per month in India is close to 30 Million mark which is still a pretty large market but not as big as portrayed by some consultants.
- These are internet connections and offices and cybercafes have many users accessing a connection so actual number of users in India is significantly greater than these number.
- There are 19.67 million Internet subscribers in March 2011 a yearly growth of 21.59 % w.r.t March 2010
- Broadband users(>256 Kbps) are growing at 35.49% and were upto 11.89 Million at March 2011
- Dial Up and Narrow band users (<256 Kbps) are growing at 5.12% and were upto 7.79 Million at March 2011
- Maharashtra is having largest Internet (<256 Kbps) and Broadband (>=256 Kbps) subscriber base in the country. Tamil Nadu is at second place in internet and broadband subscriber base
Complete report can be found here
- Prospective buyers fill out 3-5 lead forms (especially true of those coming from Google campaigns)
- The first to contact a lead increases conversion 238%
- More than 65% of all conversions occur on first call
- Calling a lead more than 5 minutes after a lead is submitted has a 46% lower qualification rate than calling in less than 5 minutes.
- Speed of response is the best predictor of a closed transaction
- Enormous opportunity exists for after-hour and weekend calling when most companies are not staffed for a rapid response
Image based mailers just doesn't work:
More than 50% of your users will not see your emails with images so you need to create mailers that will convey the message without using the images also. Images are however necessary to appeal to those users who will see the mail with images since it is a measure of quality for them to differentiate from spam.
Mails on Mobile:
I cannot share exact statistics on this but a large number of respondents have started reading their emails on mobile and those respondents need a text based mailers rather than graphics one thats why one should always send a text version of the mailer.
Yahoo Leads in India , Outlook is a close second gmail and rediff are other important email clients. the data will vary depending upon the kind of database.
Frequency of sending:
This is only my observation sending more than 1 mailer per week will cause your users to hit unsubscribe button more often.
Clickthoughs on previous emails:
This is the strongest tool to segment your data
Things to test in an email
Subjectlines, Call to action/Offers,Send time and day, email layouts
Listen to feedback:
Quite a few people will reply to the email id you sent mail from. Monitor that id through which you can get lot of abuses but you can get some valuable feedback.
On a last note email marketing is not a substitute to other marketing techniques but it is a very good add on and is especially useful in lead generation and e-commerce offers
Email Marketing Open and Click rates
Email Marketing Best practices
Google owned Doubleclick has released a list of top 1000 sites in the world Facebook and Yahoo lead the list with 540 million and 490 million visitors respectively.The largest Indian site in this list is Rediff at 234 with 12 million Unique visitors per month. Interesting google has kept its own sites Gmail, Youtube etc out of the list. This is part of promotion of google ad planner which is the source for the list. Here are the top 10